Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Recovery (probably TMI)

(Before you start reading, if images of stitches make you queasy, you may not want to scroll down to the bottom of this post!)

So I made it through surgery intact! Thanks SO MUCH for all of your comments and well wishes. It was great having so many messages to read while I was confined to a horizontal position. Things have gone surprisingly well. Monday (the day of my surgery) is, of course, a bit fuzzy. I had never been put under before and found it to be a strange experience. I was wrapped up like a mummy from mid-thighs on down but was surprisingly comfortable. In fact, I didn't feel the need to take a single pain pill after Monday. It made me really nausous, anyway.

Not much pain to speak of -- more soreness and stiffness, actually. And a lot of swelling, of course. I had my bandages removed on Wednesday and, from Wednesday until today, I've had to deal not only with looking at my shaved legs everyday, but also with having to wear full-leg stockings (to reduce swelling). How humiliating!

My mom and aunt drove down from NYC to spend the week with us and help take care of me and the kids. I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but my wife also decided to go back to work for the first time since the twins were born 4 years ago and, as luck would have it, her first day was Monday. YES, the day of my surgery. So to say that it's been a bit hectic around here might just be the understatement of the year.

I've been to 2 physical therapy sessions so far, and have noticed huge improvements in my movement and flexibility. As of today's appointment, I don't have to wear the stockings anymore (YEAH!) and I can leave the band-aids off. I'm still not close to 100% -- in fact, I just drove for the first time this evening, and I'm still working primarily from home -- but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My stitches come out next Tuesday and I'm looking towards that as a major milestone.

And, I'm back in the saddle with sewing! Some finishes to report, including my DQS4 and MBS2 quilts. More on those later!

Without further adieu, here's what bilateral arthroscopic knee surgery looks like, one week later. Self-portrait:

Oh, and here are some quick stats:
# of movies I watched while laid up: 0
# of books I read while laid up: 0
# of blog posts written and comments left on other people's blogs: 0

I had big plans, but I think I just needed to seriously veg out for the past week.


  1. Welcome back! Get well fast.

  2. Good to have you back! Somehow all the plans go out the window when you are confined to the couch! Thank goodness we have TV ;-)
    How is your wife liking working? And that must be the most unfortunate coincidence of all, I bet she felt really bad about having to start working on THE monday!!!

  3. Feel better soon!!! Take it one day at a time and do your therapy. You'll be back on your feet in no time.


  4. Good for you! Take it easy...thanks for the warning...i'm one of those queasy gals.

  5. Those look great for a week later! Hope the recovery keeps progressing....

  6. Welcome back Frankenstein. Be happy you only have little pokie holes. My Mom had double knee replacement about 5 years ago. Now she has some mighty scars. Good luck on your continuing recovery.

  7. Glad you're doing well, John! Welcome back!

  8. Congrats on a successful surgery. Sounds like you are doing well. Wish your wife good luck. I took ten years off with my kids, so I know how hard it is to go back.

  9. glad to hear that everything went well and that you've been able to relax and recover since the surgery!